Brides put such care into selecting wedding dresses, veils, undergarments, shoes and jewelry. The same care should be applied to their makeup and hairstyle, which will also be on display as well as captured in countless wedding photographs.
To help brides look and feel their best on such a special day, I’ve compiled 10 wedding day makeup tips.
1. Good skin is the perfect canvas for makeup application. Take care of your skin in the months leading up to your wedding and your skin will take care of you on your wedding day and beyond. Spend the time to find the right cleanser, exfoliator and moisturizer for your skin as well as how to use them.
2. If you choose to hire a makeup artist, establish a rapport with him/her. Let the artist know your vision of how you want to look on your wedding day. Show the artist your dress and accessories, or a photo of you wearing them if the dress is not available. Have the artist do a test run so you see exactly how you’ll look. Take photographs, preferably at around the same time as your wedding, and preferably wearing your wedding dress, so you see if your makeup flatters your skin, your style and your wedding dress. Critically examine your makeup and the photos to see if that’s how you want to look for your wedding.
3. If you opt to do your makeup yourself, natural light is key when applying makeup so you won’t end up wearing too much foundation, bronzer or blush.
4. While you’ll need to wear more makeup than you normally do, don’t spackle it on so you look like you’re wearing a mask. Don’t have too light a hand when applying your makeup, either, or you’ll look washed out.
5. Be sure the color of your neck makeup matches the color of your face makeup; blend your neck and face makeup together for a smooth, flawless look. There are plenty of makeup sponges and brushes available to help you with your makeup application.
6. Finish your face makeup and set it with powder that matches your skin tone. A powder with a yellow tint is preferable; powder with a white or pink hue can make you look pale or washed out.
7. Since you’ll probably shed at least a few tears on your wedding day, waterproof mascara is a must.
8. Consider wearing fake eyelashes to make your eyes stand out. Purchase a quality pair of lashes that look natural, and practice applying them. You can further enhance your eyes by applying waterproof mascara to your fake eyelashes.
9. Use a neutral lip liner to outline and fill in your lips. Follow the natural shape, unless your lips are thin and you want to make them a little fuller. Cover your lips in a longwearing lipstick. To set your lip color so you can dance the night away, press an oil-blotting sheet to your lips to remove excess moisture before adding a second coat of lip color.
10. Smile. Enjoy your special day. The glow of a happy bride lights up her wedding photographs.
DO YOU HAVE ANY MAKEUP TIPS TO SHARE?
Drop me a line in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.